Golf takes the MIAA D3 State Championship for fourth consecutive year

The golf team proudly displays their D3 state championship plaque. PHOTO/ Dana Markmann

By Heather Lee

For high school sport teams, winning a championship is a commendable feat. Winning the division state championships is another matter altogether. And winning for four years in a row is something almost unheard of.

Despite the difficulty in achieving a state title, the WHS golf team has done this for the past four years. On a frosty Tuesday morning, the golf team won the D3 State Championship for the fourth time at the Shining Rock Golf club in Northbridge on November 1.

“It felt good to get another state title,” junior Noah Cate simply stated.

The golf team took the MIAA D3 title with a score of 320. The Wildcats edged out runner-up St. Mary’s of Lynn by seven points

Captain Nick Cummings scored the team best with a 73 on a 72 par layout. Cate followed with an 80, and freshmen Cooper Griffin scored 83. Captain Andrew Hall and junior Stephen Alphas each scored 84.

“Everyone was worried that we weren’t even going to make it to sectionals this year since we had lost three of our top six players from last year,” Hall said. “But as the season went on, it became evident to us that we had a real chance of winning states for the fourth year in a row.”

Head coach Mary O’Brien also said that due to graduating seniors from the previous year, she had “a lot of holes to fill.”

“Because we play eight players in a match, and I knew I had a strong three or four…I was really uncertain on how six, seven, and eight were going to play,” O’Brien said. “So that was a learning process throughout the season.”

But despite this, O’Brien said the team had a successful season.

“We played poorly in the beginning with a loss to Boston Latin, but after a shaky start we were able to come together and win sectionals and states,” Cummings said.

According to O’Brien, the team could have won more matches if everyone had the same focus.

“It’s a big learning curve for some of the players to focus all the time,” O’Brien said. “They’re used to focusing for a little bit, but to have to focus for two hours during a match, for some people it’s hard to learn that and develop that.”

After winning the D3 North sectional tournament against 15 other qualifying teams, O’Brien said she was both pleased and surprised. Afterwards, she and the team began to prepare for the tough state tournament.

“[For the players] it really takes a lot of personal control and focus to be able to play, and play on a high level on a regular basis,” O’Brien said.

Talent aside, O’Brien said the golf team’s strong point is their commitment to playing golf.

“The players show a lot of commitment to practicing, to working hard at their game, and… to the team. I rarely have anyone who misses practice,” she said.                                             

O’Brien added that the team’s drive and their focus was the most important thing that lead to the team’s success.

“We came into states with tremendous confidence that we had a good chance of winning despite how tough the course was,” Hall said. “And in the end, thanks to everyone’s contribution, we were able to win yet again.”