Finding truth in The Undiscovered Country

School girls Charlotte and Audrey (juniors Georgia Harper and Hannah LeBaron, respectively) reacting to Robin's sudden death (senior Tina Ziobro) during a dress rehearsal for The Undiscovered Country. PHOTO/ Diane Anton

School girls Charlotte and Audrey (juniors Georgia Harper and Hannah LeBaron, respectively) reacting to Robin’s sudden death (senior Tina Ziobro) during a dress rehearsal for The Undiscovered Country. PHOTO/ Diane Anton

By Grace Wang

T.Co.’s presentation of The Undiscovered Country, an original play written by the cast, explores how complicated it is to find the truth. The plot follows a group of female boarding school students who are struggling to find a roommate lost to a government espionage mission during the Cold War. Through this journey, they learn not only a lot about each other, but more about how the real world functions outside of their sheltered school, Briarwood Academy.

This company of thespians has never shied away from sensitive topics, and The Undiscovered Country is no exception. This play captivated and grabbed the audience’s attention from start to finish.

Over the course of the entire play, the suspense intrigued the audience’s curiosity as they wondered where the missing characters had ventured off to. The cast ended each scene with a cliff-hanger, which kept the audience on the edge of their seats.

Though the overall mood of the performance was somber, the funny dialogue interspersed throughout the play had the audience chuckling. The humor was effective in engaging the audience as it lightened the overall mood and eased the tension of this otherwise dark tale.

For example, the audience was in hysterics when Gary and Larry, two custodians played by senior Charlie Hattabaugh and junior Robbie Gold respectively, brilliantly executed comic relief as they rushed on stage with their mops in the government facility. This scene created a smart contrast from the immediately previous stressful scene of school girls Charlotte (junior Georgia Harper) and Audrey (junior Hannah LeBaron) struggling to gather clues to find her lost friend Robin (senior Tina Ziobro).

Though WHS students aren’t being recruited by secret government facilities to crack the codes as the characters in the play are, the underlying messages of how the darkness of society can affect young people shines light on issues today.

“While this play was not intended as a political statement while we wrote it, it certainly is applicable to modern times,” sophomore Ryan Hayes, who played editor Mr. Parrish, said. “I believe it presents a very important message, especially in these times. Don’t believe everything you hear from the media, … from the schools and from the government.”