Baseball looks ahead to a home run season

Senior Max Barsamian hit a three run home run against Ashland. PHOTO//Lee McCanne

By Matthew Garfinkel

Senior Max Barsamian hit a three run home run against Ashland. PHOTO/Lee McCanne

Varsity baseball came out strong with a big win against Madison Park RVT/McKinley RVT in Roxbury yesterday. Mercy rule was called in the third inning as the Wildcats were up 23-1.

This opening day win bodes well for their goal to rebound from last year’s .500 season. Though the Wildcats graduated 12 seniors in 2016, including captain and star infielder Bryce Grundy, all starting pitchers and outfielders are returning to this year’s squad.

Junior captain Sajjan May said this team has the capability to fill the void of last year’s seniors. May is a returning starting outfielder and starting pitcher.

“We have a very strong outfield and pitching core that already has a lot of varsity experience, as well as a promising looking infield,” May said. “We believe that defense wins games, so with those positions filled up, we have a good shot of doing well, especially against the DCL competition.”

May has been playing on the varsity level since he was a freshman and knows how the competition differs when players step up to varsity. He believes that new players on the roster will benefit from simulating speed difference in practice.

“The newcomers we have are going to need to get used to the different style of play. However, with the amount of reps everyone is getting at the plate and in the field, I think that transition will be smooth,” May said.

He is also optimistic about this year’s batting lineup.

“The bats look solid. We have a few players who are going to step it up this year and become key contributors to the team at the plate,” May said.

Junior starting pitcher Andrew Daphnis is another returning player from last year’s roster. Daphnis has put in countless hours this offseason and in the batting cages to have a breakout season this year. He believes a DCL-Small title is in the Wildcat’s reach.

“Our goal for the season has been to win the DCL-Small title and get as deep into the D3 playoffs as possible,” Daphnis said.

According to senior Bryce McCanne this year’s line-up is looking strong and healthy.

“I believe we will do better than last year. Last year we were playing with injuries that really hurt us on the field. This year, our infield will need to be resilient and recover well,” McCanne said.

May said the team will be tested early in the season.

“We scheduled some tough Division I games against some DCL teams this year, namely Boston Latin, Westford Academy and Lincoln Sudbury. Lincoln Sudbury ended up making it to the Division I State Finals last year. They always field a good team, so that should be a good test for us right out of the gates,” he said.

The wildcats are looking to recover from a 4-2 loss yesterday in Bedford and pick up a win against Newton South today at 4 P.M.