Anti-Semitic graffiti found in Field School bathroom

Danielle Feinstien, Features Editor

Recurring anti-Semitic graffiti in the fourth grade boys’ bathroom at Field School was reported in February. The graffiti was first found by a custodian, who reported it to Principal Matt Lucey before cleaning it up. The markings included swastikas and the words, ‘Kill the Jews.’

Although custodial staff promptly cleaned the graffiti, it reappeared several times throughout the day.

In response, Field School emailed all parents, notifying them of the incident, and set up a hotline for people to call in with any information they had.

According to a March email sent by Superintendent Bob Tremblay, the discussion was about “nurturing a culture of respect for human differences in our community.”

Wendy Newman, a Field School parent, attended the meeting at the library and said that the information and ideas shared were steps in the right direction.

“I was upset by the incident, but not completely shocked because of what’s happening in our world today,” Newman said. “The initial meeting in the library was great, but it was not very well publicized so there were very few parents there.”

Newman said she was worried about how such young children were able to express anti-Semitism.

“Kids aren’t born with hatred, they learn it from somewhere,” she said. “I think that this isn’t a discipline issue, but an educational one. If the school takes this event as an opportunity to teach kids about acceptance, respect, and learning about other people’s differences, it could make lots of positive change in the community.”

Through the discussion, the community has begun to explore curriculum connections with the support of the ADL. In addition to curriculum changes, all Field School staff received specialized training through an ADL designed course on May 3.