Proctor track and field renovation project off and running

Graphics+supplied+by+Activas+Planing%2C+Landscape%2C+Athletic+Facilities+show+planned+design+improvements+of+the+complex.+
Graphics supplied by Activas Planing, Landscape, Athletic Facilities show planned design improvements of the complex.

By Matthew Garfinkel and John Cort

The Proctor track and field renovation is a go-ahead with the approval of town voters at town election on May 6 and town meeting on May 8.

Weston voters approved ballot question #1 – the Proposition 2½ debt exclusion – at town election at town hall on May 6, which only required a simple majority to pass. Voters at the May 8 town meeting also approved the appropriation of the $4.5 million dollars worth of construction funds, which needed a 2/3 majority to pass.

Athletic Director Mike McGrath said he was thrilled to be at the town meeting when it was announced that the renovation passed.

“I am extremely excited for not only our student body, but for the residents of Weston,” he said. “I believe this new facility will be something everyone will be very proud of and enjoy for many years to come.”

The timeline for the project will have a positive impact on most fall teams, but practice and game locations for the football team will change next season, McGrath noted. “

Football will continue to practice on Field 4 throughout the construction of Proctor and will move to the new turf upon its completion – hopefully sometime late fall,” McGrath said. “During construction, football will play their home games at area schools and fields although I am setting the schedule to backload our home games should Proctor be completed in time to host games.”

Fingers are crossed for a Thanksgiving ribbon-cutting, however.

“At the very minimum, my hope is to be able to play the Thanksgiving Day game on our new field this year, provided there are no construction delays,” McGrath said.

New lights are a key part of the renovation plan. The current lights on the field were donated and installed in 1994 and are currently unable to light the entire field.

Football coach Richard Brissette said the new lights will provide more playtime opportunities in future seasons.

“The current lighting situation isn’t balanced, meaning the field is left with spots that aren’t as lit as others. Therefore, the new lighting system will be better for student athletes playing on the field at night,” Brissette said.

Track and field coach John Monz said the new multipurpose synthetic turf surface will make competition safer for student athletes on the track.

“The new facility will benefit our athletes in several important ways,” he expressed. “The new running surface should reduce the pounding and stress on our athletes’ lower legs and reduce injuries.”

Monz said he is also looking forward to the opportunities the improvements will provide.

“To compete at home again will be appreciated by all. We will have first-class field event facilities as well. We will also be able to host some of the bigger competitions, such as the Twilight Meet, the DCL Championship, and some MIAA events.”

Plans to redesign and build a sports wall have been on hold since $75,000 was allocated for this project in a 2015 town meeting. This 16-foot wall, to primarily serve as a bounceback for lacrosse, will now be constructed as part of the Proctor track and field renovation.

Junior Demetrius Iatridis said the wall will be an inspiration for student athletes. “

It’s better than what we have currently and will help all the players hone in and develop their skills further,” he said.

Spectators and athletes will also benefit from new bathrooms and concession stands, which is part of the renovation project.

.