The new traffic light has turn signals which minimizes driving time for commuters.

Adi Saligrama

Adi Saligrama

Route 30 and Wellesley Street Signal Improvement Project wrapping up after over a year of construction

Traffic construction on Route 30 and Wellesley Street is in its final stages. Paving, street sign installations, signal lights, and pavement markings were completed over the last month. Landscaping and cleanup are now left on the punch list..

According to the Town of Weston website, the purpose of the construction was to improve intersection geometry, increase pedestrian safety and improve traffic signals. Construction began in May 2016 and was originally scheduled to finish by June 2017.

Though new poles were set at the beginning of last school year, work on the existing utility poles was delayed for months due to multiple agencies owning various wires on the poles.

“Moving wires is not as easy as it appears.  Wires have to be removed – one utility company at a time.  Since all utilities are busy, their response to the needs of this project was often delayed by other emergencies,” intern town engineer Ben Fehen said. “When all the intervals are added to a project, it is easy to see how a year has gone by,” he added.

The wires were not moved until end of August, which triggered final work on lampposts and mast arm erection.