Weston Golf looks for another strong finish at the State Championship

Matthew Garfinkel

Massachusetts Golf Association
Senior Captain Nick Cummings looks out at the fairway after his first shot.

The Co-DCL Small Champion and Division 3 North Sectional Tournament Champions Weston High School Varsity Golf team has not found themselves in the bunker this season. Since 2007, Weston has been leading the pack among Massachusetts golf teams with several undefeated seasons.

The Wildcats are currently 9-3 this fall season. Over the years, Weston has maintained its high ranking in the DCL as shown by their season records: 10-3 in 2016, 14-1 in 2015, 15-0 in 2014, and 9-2-2 in 2013.

Before the Wildcats won the Division 3 Sectional tournament, Senior Captain Noah Cate believed the team had a great shot at winning this year’s state championship. In order to get to the next level, Cate said the wildcats will have to perform well to win the State Championship.

“We have the potential to win the State Championship if our top 6 perform how we should perform. If everyone does their job, then we will do well,” Cate said. “That being said, we must also not get ahead of ourselves and trust the process in taking this journey one step at a time.”

The Wildcats finished in the top three schools at Sectionals, earning a spot at the State Championships. Experienced post season player and Senior Captain Nick Cummings expressed how he believes the team must play in order to win to the State Championship.

“Our top 4 of 6 scores count at States, so collectively we must play to the level we are capable of playing at,” Cummings said. “Overall, the whole team needs to play well to have a solid chance to accomplish our goal of winning the state championship,” Cummings said.

Head Coach Mary O’Brien’s continued montra of handling the task at hand and not getting ahead of themselves has largely contributed to the Wildcats sustained success throughout the years. Cummings commented on how this message to the team keeps the players hungry yet humble.

“Coach O’Brien is great at keeping us organized and helps keeping us focused on the task at hand so we don’t get ahead of ourselves or become too overconfident,” Cummings said.

According to Cate, the only obstacle in front of the Wildcats in their pursuit of a State Championship is themselves.

“The only thing holding us back from winning State Championships is our consistency which has been an issue the past few years,” Cate said.

Though Cate and Cummings are currently focused on performing well at the State Championship,  both believe Weston’s golf team will have long-lasting success for years to come. Cummings added how he believes crucial underclassman like sophomore Cooper Griffen and freshman Jacob Finard will not only be key contributors to this year’s team, but will carry the team in future seasons.

As the Wildcats look to win yet another State Championship this year, they all know that this journey will be hard fought and come with challenges. Weston’s Varsity Golf Team travels to the State Championship at Wyantenuck Country Club on Tuesday October 31st at 9 AM to accomplish their goal of winning it all.