Boy’s Varsity Soccer has unprecedented season

November 20, 2017

Nicole Mordecai

The Weston Boys Varsity Soccer Team lighting up the field after their electric 4-3 win against Wayland on October 26.

The Weston Boys Varsity Soccer Team has had a season to remember, qualifying for the MIAA North Division 3 Tournament for the first time since 2014. From tying Division 2 North State champions, Concord-Carlisle to beating the defending Division 3 State Champions, Wayland every moment of the Catz season was electric and thrilling.

Achieving this high-level play was not an easy feat for the Catz who were 2-12-4 and won 0 DCL Small games last season.

This fall, the Catz finished with a regular season record of 8-5-5 more than doubling their total wins from last season and ended up as the #8 seed in the tournament.

In junior right winger Adrian Hadley’s opinion, the biggest improvement this year was the team’s ability to play together.

“When it comes down to it, soccer is a team sport and a game can’t be won with individual talent. Throughout the season, our bonding off the field made it a lot easier to play on the field because we knew each other well enough to know each other’s style of play,” Hadley said.

He added that the team’s new on-field formation largely contributed to their monumental improvement.

“This year’s new 3 defense, 4 midfielders, and 3 attack formation were incredible because it was really suited for all of the players that were on the team,” Hadley said.

Senior captain Henry Osborn elaborated on the team’s improvements from last season and noted their newfound grit and determination in games.

“There were times last season when we gave up or got down on ourselves before games were over. That never happened this season. The mentality was completely different as we knew we could win in every game we played.”

In their late-season win, the Catz defeated Wayland in a memorable senior night game. This victory led the team to a coveted spot in the tournament.

Beating Wayland on Senior Night and qualifying for the playoffs was easily the highlight of my high school soccer career,” Osborn said.

Weston went on to dominate their first-round tournament game with a 7-0 win against Northwest Metro RVT but ultimately lost to Wayland in the quarter-finals of the tournament.

Despite this devastating post-season loss, Hadley is proud of what the Catz accomplished together.

“Whatever happened at the end of the season, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so close to a soccer team in my whole life other than that moment. I was really proud to be on that team.”

When reflecting on his high school soccer career, Cochran is nostalgic but is grateful for the time with his dad on the field.

“Playing for my dad was just amazing. He pushed me forward at every moment, and everything I did on the field was for him,” Cochran said. “The only time I’ve been close to crying since the season ended was when I hugged him after my last game.”

Junior right forward Michael Delduchetto believes that Weston is here to stay and hopes to continue the class of 2018’s legacy into future seasons.

“How we do next year is all up to us in the offseason and how we improve our game. The future is bright and getting that playoff feel this year was something that will for sure help us next season,” Delduchetto said.