Weston Boys Basketball looks forward to an electric season

December 12, 2017

Joy Saini

Junior Junior Uga shoots a 3 pointer at the whiteout game last season.

The Weston High School Varsity Boys Basketball team is looking to have another great season to follow up last year’s historic performance. Last year the Wildcats had their best season in almost 20 years and are looking to replicate that success this season.

Although the Wildcats graduated a strong senior class including Doug Dahl, Jared Groff and Cam Peddie, and the departure of key junior and thousand point member Kyle Murphy, the team believes they are capable of living up to the high expectations that head coach David First has set for them.

Head coach David First knows this same level of success from last year’s season will not be easy and will require a lot of hard work.

“Last year we came into the season established. This year’s team is a work in progress; something I find very exciting. Let’s see what we can do. I think we will be disruptive,” First said.

Senior captain Noah Cate recognizes the importance of this season, as it follows last year’s monumental season. He acknowledged the importance not only to himself, but also to his fellow players.

“This year is going to be a big year for our team, especially because everyone around the school and in the DCL thinks we can’t repeat our success from last year,” Cate said.

While Cate knows the value of a successful program, Junior captain Jake Corbett has confidence in the team’s defense and chemistry. He also identified areas on the floor that the team must improve on to repeat last year’s success.

“I think our team is quicker and we will have a better defense, but it’s hard because we all need to get better at scoring on the offensive side. Our team is different than last year because our chemistry is way better. We all have been playing with each other since day one,” Corbett said.

Once again, the Wildcats feature a schedule with DCL Large teams Lincoln-Sudbury and Westford Academy, as well as Division 1 State Champions Cambridge Rindge and Latin.

This year the team is competing in a tournament in Hollywood, Florida. Junior Junior Uga noted that the team will need to hold its ground as the squad prepares to battle bigger programs and teams in the new season.

“This year we’ll know what to expect regarding the intensity and pace of these games to perform even better against this competition,” Uga said.

According to First, the team has the potential to win a state championship. However, First is aware of the other DCL teams that have significantly improved from last year, which in turn leads to greater competition.

“Bedford is the best team on paper, but games aren’t played on paper. Bedford has the most talent and maturity they’ve had in a long time,” First said.

Although Bedford is a favorite to win the state title, First said that shouldn’t stop the Wildcats from working hard.

“Having teams like Bedford on our schedule will make us better down the stretch and tournament ready. We have a lot of work to do to get to the state championship.”

Having been on Varsity all four years, Cate knows what it takes to go to the playoffs. As a senior, he aspires for the team to be state champions. According to Cate, the team will have to overcome physical and mental problems that come with a new team every winter.

“Physically, our height will be a problem for us, but if we all hustle then we can overcome the height problem,” Cate said.

The team may have problems on the floor, but the team cannot function as one unit without the hard work and dedication of First. During the offseason, First put a lot of thought into his role as a coach for the team and expressed how important it is for him to unwind so that he will be prepared for the next season.

“I do a lot of thinking about our offense and defense. I believe that being fresh and ready for the season enables me to figure out how this very different team can be as successful as possible,” First said.

“I will be changing up drills and defenses this year to adapt to our capabilities. I am always working to be better.”

It is all of First’s players that love his passion and intensity for the game that makes playing for him so engaging every day.

Uga appreciates First’s winning attitude and his extensive knowledge of the sport.

“I like that Coach First just wants to win and how that’s his top priority. He also has one of the best basketball IQ’s of any coach I’ve ever had,” Uga said.

The Wildcats opened their season on Tuesday December 12th in a hard fought loss to Acton-Boxborough 46-38. Weston will play their next game against Boston Latin at 7 PM on Friday December 15th in the Weston High School Gym.