Massive turnout at 2nd Annual Macbreakfast

The

The "Macbreakfast" fills up in the Weston High School Library with many parents and students.

Alex Chaoul, Editor

The “Macbreakfast” fills up in the Weston High School Library with many parents and students. PHOTO/ Alex Chaoul

The second annual “Macbreakfast” hosted by the Weston High School English department featured 10th grade student projects on the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare. This project is very different from the typical analytical essay, in which students focus on a motif from the play and create their own interpretation of it.

Sophomore English teacher Michael Kelley commented on the success of the event, which first began last year and has continued to grow ever since.

“It felt like the kids who participated enjoyed it. It felt like the parents appreciated it, so it felt worth doing it again,” Kelley said.

The English department created this event with a few goals in mind, including the recognition of work from the parents and families of the students.

“I would like them to have a sense of the various ways that different students interpret literature,” Kelley said.  “In the world we live in today, there are many different ideas and opinions and I think it’s healthy to be able to see where other people are coming from.”

Sophomore Sadie Noone acknowledged the various types of projects and was amazed by the great work done by her classmates.

“From what I saw, there was a lot of artistic projects and I thought it was interesting how every group, even if they chose the same motif, were all different and had different analysis and thought put into them,” Noone said.

Kelley shared why he believes it is important to showcase student work to people outside of the school.

“We wanted to share the good work that the kids do with the community. I think a lot of good things happen in school that parents don’t know about,” Kelley said. “As a parent myself, I didn’t realize how little parents know [about their students work].”

Sophomore Sanghoo Lee shared his experience with the event and the unique opportunity it offers to students.

“It’s a lot more rewarding if you show a project you spent a lot of time working on to your friends and family,” Lee said. “To hear all the positive things these people had to say about my project and seeing [my friends’] own hard work made me feel awesome and just made the whole experience worth it.”

Lee also commented on the excitement that he felt from the attendance and recognition at the event.

“It felt great to present my own project to the faculty and parents who had come out to the event,” Lee said. “Obviously there were a lot of people to choose from when it came time to select a few projects to present at Macbreakfast, and I think it was great for those students that cared especially about the whole Macbeth unit and put in significant amounts of time and effort into their work to have a platform to present their work.”

Noone commented on the unique experience of presenting in this environment and how it has helped her as a student.

“Originally, I wasn’t thrilled about the idea, but once we started presenting I thought it was fun. I think I got a good opportunity to improve my presentation skills,” Noone said.  

Kelley strongly believes that retelling your own project multiple times helps students to better understand exactly what it is they are talking about.

“By the time they are done, at least if last year is some kind of indication, kids feel like they know the play better and the motif better because they had to keep re-presenting it,” Kelley said.

Lee describes how this format of Macbreakfast allowed him to gain a better overall understanding of his own work.

“It was nice to present my project many times, compared to the one time in the classroom, because I was able to explain the ideas behind my work in more detail compared to the classroom,” he said. “Also, presenting many times allowed me to adjust what I said to my audience and answer questions more in-depth.”

The early success of the Macbreakfast both in the school and community will make it a tradition in Weston that sophomores will continue to look forward to in the future.