Students share what it means to be in a healthy relationship this Valentine’s Day

February 13, 2018

Maddie Epperson

Seniors Maddie Perko and Alex Chiocca enjoying each other's company at the Black and White Dance on January 27.

Valentine’s Day involves the celebration of all kinds of love among family, friends and significant others. Relationships are often a common focus of this holiday, making it an ideal time to hone in on what makes a healthy relationship with a significant other, family member or friend.     

Health teacher Danielle Cooper shares her thoughts on the numerous benefits of all types of healthy relationships.

“Some of the benefits of a healthy relationship include feeling supported, having someone you can talk to about what is happening in your life, sharing experiences, feeling less stressed and feeling a part of something bigger,” Cooper said.

Although these may sound like unrealistic or fantastical results, these are in fact the very real effects of a healthy relationship.  

“It has been proven that individuals who maintain healthy social relationships are happier, get sick less, and live longer lives,” Cooper said.

Senior Alex Chiocca shared the positive emotional gains he has felt from being in a relationship.

“I have noticed that I am much happier and less worried all of the time,” Chiocca said. “I have my trust in someone, I know someone is there for me all of the time.”

Senior Maddie Perko echoed this sentiment on blooming relationships, noting that they consist of a connection involving inner strength and serenity.

“I think that a relationship is healthy if you feel like the best version of yourself, if being with that person makes you feel confident, appreciated and understood,” Perko said.

Although it would be great if relationships could be this pleasant all the time, it is completely normal for couples to experience rough patches as well.

“Conflict is likely to occur in all relationships, it is normal to disagree. If you are able to talk through your differences and maintain the relationship post-argument you may actually build a stronger connection,” Cooper said.

One way to approach this sometimes tough conversation is by first taking a step back and looking at issues on a larger scale.

“If you’re fighting about the same core thing just with different scenarios, then you should look at the bigger picture and deal with the main problem underlying every small one,” senior Michael Sacco said.

Along these same lines, Perko advocates for finding perspective and not shying away from reaching out to a third party if needed.

“I think that one should try to consider the other person’s perspective and then talk openly about it with them. If after talking about it you both feel better and have reached common ground, then great! Coming to a mutual understanding can take time and/or outside advice from a trusted adult, parent, or friend,” Perko said.

Clearly, relationships are multifaceted and offer many opportunities for emotional gains. Regardless of the relationships you have with significant others, friends or family members, Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate the connections you have with those around you.

“Be thankful for ALL of the healthy relationships in your life; they are essential to your happiness! Take some time out on Valentine’s Day to attend to your social health,” Cooper said.  “I am extremely lucky to have the people I do in my life and February 14th is a day that reminds me to be grateful!”