Upcoming winter olympic games inspire WHS athletes

February 13, 2018

George Riedel

Senior Thomas Burke fights to get the puck against two Bedford defenders January 24.

With the start of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, excitement and national pride has increased around the world. Spanning 15 sports, the games offer something for everyone. Here at WHS, students have the opportunity to participate in some of the events at the interscholastic level, including ice hockey and skiing.

This winter athletic season has already brought many triumphs for the WHS Boys Hockey team. As of February 5, the Boys Hockey team has a solid record of 4-9-2 and looks forward what the rest of the season will bring. Senior Dexter Peters described the anticipation that comes with winter and the start of a new hockey season for the WHS team.

“Winter is always something to look forward to because I get to spend so much time with a good group of kids on and off the ice,” Peters said.

During this season, there have been individual contributions that have bolstered the success of the overall team. Freshman George Herlihy stepped into a new role as defenseman and sophomore goalie Zach Korbin made numerous remarkable saves in every game. On offense, senior captain Thomas Burke and sophomore Cooper Griffin scored 12 and 13 goals, respectively.

With the Olympics coinciding with the WHS hockey season, senior Thomas Riedel is looking forward to seeing some of his favorite players represent his country and beloved sport.

“Hilary Knight, who plays for the U.S. Women’s Hockey Team, is an unbelievable player and continues to break boundaries,” Riedel said.

The WHS hockey team is excited to continue their season while watching the U.S. Olympic Hockey teams in their pursuit for gold. In particular, Peters expressed his excitement for a new and local member of the U.S. Men’s Olympic Hockey Team.

“I’m excited to see Ryan Donato play because I’ve been watching his games at Harvard for a couple years now. I am really excited to see him play at the Olympic level,” Peters said.

In addition to the hockey team, WHS’s individual skiers have worked hard in this Olympic year to push themselves to the next level. Senior Oliver Snow is a member of the Cambridge Sports Union Junior Nordic Ski Team. At his first race of the season, Snow placed 4th in the 18 and under division for New England and looks forward to his upcoming races.

As a big fan of the U.S. ski team, Snow revealed the impact he believes this team has had on youth around the nation.

“I think that the U.S. has been getting stronger and stronger in skiing. This has inspired kids all over the country to work hard and really push themselves,” Snow said.

Snow’s role models are two female Olympic skiers who encourage him by example to master his skills.

“I look up to the women’s team more than the men’s just because they are so much better. Skiers like Jessie Diggins or Sophie Caldwell,” Snow said. “I definitely admire their technique and am constantly trying to refine mine to resemble theirs.”

Senior Sarah Gotbetter started alpine racing when she was six and has been on the high school ski team all four years. Gotbetter roots for racers Ted Ligety, Lindsey Vonn and Mikaela Shiffrin and plans to follow their journey in the upcoming Olympics.

“I look up to all of the athletes for their amazing ability and fearlessness. I watch their form and try to be as forward, strong and dedicated as they are,” Gotbetter said. “Specifically, I look up to Lindsey Vonn for her ability to continue competing despite countless injuries.”

While watching the Winter Olympics on the big screen this year, consider the dedication of the athletes in Weston as well. One day, their hard work may just earn them the honor of being in the much sought-after Olympic spotlight.