Michael (Terry Mullany) battles online as the game's avatars (Grace Carter, Gui Pereira and others) fight in the game world.

Original play tackles issues with technology

March 1, 2018

Theatrics and online gaming will collide in WHS Theater Company’s original winter show Player by Proxy this Friday. Following the story of three siblings, the play will explore how technology affects the way people interact and communicate with others.

Over the years, the Theater Company [T. Co] has covered a variety of important topics through their original student plays. This year is no different, as Player by Proxy highlights the dangers of technology and how it can stint people’s abilities to form meaningful relationships.

“The theme that emerged is that we’re living in a world where relationships and emotions are dealt with online and not in person,” director John Minigan said.

Senior T. Co tri-president Hannah LeBaron also described how the topic of depending on technology for relationships was a common theme for this day and age.

“The technology route strikes a chord because I think there is a lot of stuff going on right now in terms of how we hide behind technology and use it to cope with things,” LeBaron said.

However, LeBaron also mentioned that the play will portray the benefits of technology, such as its ability to connect people all over the world, while still posing the question of whether or not those benefits outweigh the cost of forming most relationships online.

“It connects a lot of people, but in what ways is it different than a real human connection?” she said.

This theme deviates from last year’s show, The Undiscovered Country, which was a plot-heavy piece centered around a government conspiracy. Minigan described this change as a profound shift in the way students were approaching the first stages of writing the play.

“The piece that evolved last year through this process was [about] distrust in large organizations, like the government. And this year has been more about how we lie to ourselves [through social media]” Minigan said.

According to senior tri-president Georgia Harper, the prevalence of social media in modern times was a familiar topic for many students and made it easy to find a storyline.

“Obviously, around the high school, you see everyone on their phones all the time…it’s interesting to apply that form of communication on stage and see how that tells a true story about our lives,” Harper said. “You write what you know, and we’re experts in technology and we’re experts in social media.”

Player by Proxy will be performed in the WHS auditorium on Friday, March 2 and Saturday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $5 for students and military, and $10 for adults.

There will be also be a third performance on March 10 at the Massachusetts Theater Celebration in WHS at 1:00 p.m, and a fourth performance in Wellesley High school auditorium Massachusetts Collaboration Festival on March 17.