Boys Varsity Tennis looks to take another state championship

Weston Boys Varsity Tennis team celebrates singles player Alex Chaouls state championship clinching victory.

Ken McGagh

Ken McGagh

Ken McGagh

Matthew Garfinkel, Sports Editor

Flashing back to spring 2017, the Weston Boys Varsity tennis team watched closely as sophomore third singles player Alex Chaoul played the championship clinching match. With Chaoul’s eventual victory, the team took home the division 3 championship trophy. In the shadow of this win, the Weston Boys Varsity Tennis team looks to continue their legacy this coming season.

Familiar with this pressure, senior varsity tennis captain and co-emcee Isaac Gorelik knows that expectations are high as the team looks to repeat their state championship.

“It will be a long process, and all the world and public needs to know is we are and will be ready,” Gorelik said.

Since the team has graduated key seniors John Lathrop and Seth Arimansaje, certain players will have step up their level of play and take on more responsibility on the singles court. Senior captain and co-emcee Tim Pesek knows the importance of this process and the reloading players with new talent and depth.

“Alex Choul and Masaki Nawa are likely to play singles and must be able to step up in regular season and postseason play. Their success and wins will directly influence the overall team results,” Pesek said.

Junior Masaki Nawa played an integral role in capturing last year’s state championship as a key doubles player for the team famously known as the Hogz. Nawa acknowledged the impact of Ariminsaje and Lathrop on his playing ability and mindset.

“Seth was like my big brother who supported me in taking away my nervousness before games. Losing John makes us feel a void, he was the first singles player who made our tactics effective while playing other teams,” Nawa said.

In addition to a change in the starting lineup, former assistant coach Eric Eldredge has departed to coach the Mashpee High Varsity Tennis team. Sophomore Jacob Gilligan commented on coach Eldredge’s role and how he will be missed by his former players.

“Eric definitely provided a lot to the team, he made it a fun team to be a part of and we’ll all miss him. However, I think we will be able to use what he taught us and replicate our success once again without him,” Gilligan said.

This year’s coaching staff will feature high school history teacher and soccer coach Moncrieff Cochran as assistant coach and head JV coach. The hiring of Cochran is critical as the Hogz are trying to develop talent down the pipeline.

“I am thrilled to be chosen for such a prestigious position as JV boys tennis coach.  I’ve been playing and watching tennis for more than 20 years, coaching soccer for 25, and look forward to supporting head varsity coach, George Conlin, in his quest for another state championship. My task will be to improve an already strong talent talent pool at the JV level and get those players ready for varsity whenever the opportunities arises for them.” Cochran said.

In addition to the newly appointed Cochran, returning head coach George Conlin will be a key figure that will be back for the Hogz. Conlin has many years of experience in private coaching and high school coaching at Weston and has won multiple titles during his tenure. Gilligan commented on the importance of Conlin to the team and his high school career.

“Coach Conlin taught me a lot about tennis and how to be a good teammate last year. He’s been nothing but a positive influence on my tennis game and my life, and I think the whole team owes a lot of our victory’s last year to him since we couldn’t have done it without him,” Gilligan said.

The Hogz are poised to get another taste of a state championship and are excited to get back on the courts. The team battles Wayland in a scrimmage today at 4pm on the high school tennis courts.