Junior+Christina+Costa+and+her+family+celebrating+her+1%2C000th+point+

Junior Christina Costa joins the elite 1000 point basketball club at WHS

Junior Christina Costa and her family celebrating her 1,000th point

Christina Costa

Christina Costa

Christina Costa

Knowing that this could be the day she breaks the record, junior basketball captain Christina Costa had her eyes on the prize. Although Costa was averaging more than 12 points per game this season, she was still nervous to play in this game. Despite these nerves, it was no surprise to Costa when she scored her 1,000th career point against Bedford on February 9.

According to senior captain Karenna Groff, the team knew that Costa was just 12 points away from hitting her 1,000th point.

“Despite our best efforts to put that out of our minds and just focus on the game, I think every Weston player and fan in the gym was counting down from 12 everytime she scored,” Groff said. “When she finally hit that 1,000th point, the game stopped and everybody rushed onto the court towards Christina to congratulate her. We brought out a banner and balloons and it was a really special moment.”

According to Costa, being surrounded by the people she loves was the best part of her entire journey leading up to this point.

“My family has supported me since day 1, and seeing them being just as happy as I was filled my heart. My teammates also ran on the court when I scored and having them to embrace when I did was a great feeling,” Costa exclaimed.

Not only did this moment commemorate Costa’s high school basketball career, the win was especially meaningful to the team.

“This was a huge deal for us because Bedford had beaten us by 30 points when they played us at home a couple of weeks before,” Costa said.

Costa’s teammate since the fourth grade, junior Rachel Garofalo, has been playing basketball with Costa for what seems like forever.

Garofalo commented on the improvement in Costa’s game throughout her career.

“I am happy to have been alongside her and to have seen her growth and dedication to the sport,” Garofalo said. “I think we all admire her work and dedication to basketball and we’re happy to be there for such a big moment and great game.”

As easy as she makes it seems, Costa had to put in a lot of effort to get to the point where she is today.

“I have been working towards this goal for a long time. I started playing competitive club AAU basketball when I was in 7th grade. Playing basketball year round very much helped me achieve this goal,” Costa said. “It has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl to achieve this and have my name on the 1,000th point banner in the gym.”

Aside from Costa’s ability to score, Groff has been playing on the same team as Costa for three years and applauds her leadership and versatility as a player.

“I think first and foremost is her ability to lead and play unselfishly. Few players with her skill possess such qualities,” Groff said. “She can drain three pointers just as well as she can cross some ankles and finish underneath the basket, making her almost impossible to defend.”

According to athletic director Michael McGrath, Costa is the 15th 1,000th point scorer in WHS’s history and first female since Saliah Serrette back in 2013.

“I knew Christina would be a terrific player here at Weston after the first game I saw her play. Scoring her 1,000th point is a tremendous accomplishment and doing it in her junior year is very impressive,” McGrath said. “Aside from her basketball abilities Christina Costa is a great leader and outstanding person which is why she is so special.”

Most importantly, Costa thanked those that helped her get to the 1,000th point mark and continue to develop her technique as a player.

“I want to thank my coaches on both teams, my teammates in both teams, and most importantly my family and friends that support me. All of these people have made me the player and person I am today and for that I am very lucky and grateful.”