Boys Varsity Basketball begins journey for championship

John Gigian, Staff Writer

The Weston Boys Varsity Basketball team will enter the 2018-2019 season with the goal of a championship in mind. The Wildcats will look to improve upon last season’s 7-16 record and a loss in the first round of the playoffs to Whittier Tech. They began their season on December 10, winning the first game of the season on the road against Acton-Boxborough.

Senior Junior Uga expressed his thoughts on the upcoming season.

“I feel great, I’m ready to go. I’ve been waiting a while to get the season started, so I’m ready to play,” Uga said. “They also beat us last year in a game. We didn’t play well, so I have added motivation to beat them.”

Weston also will renew long time rivalries this season against Bedford and Wayland. Sophomore Alton Jenkins said that he is looking forward to playing in these games, as well as a few others that he is personally interested in.

“{I’m of course looking forward to playing against Wayland this year},” Jenkins said. “One game that has significance for me is the game against Concord-Carlisle. I know a lot of kids on that team, so I’m looking forward to getting to play against them.”

The team additionally boasts starpower with DCL All-Stars in Uga and senior captain Jake Corbett. Uga expressed his feelings on the recognition.

“I worked hard for the title, so it was a great honor. It was a reminder, though, that I need to work even harder to see this translate into team success,” Uga emphasized.

The Wildcats have an abundance of veteran experience with twelve seniors in the program. Corbett explained the responsibilities that come with the role of being team captain.

“As captain, it is my job to make sure everyone knows what to do on the court, and has the right mentality to work hard in order for us to do well and win games. We have to have the mentality that we need [and] want it more if we want to win,” Corbett noted.

A high level of confidence has been exhibited through the athletes and coaches involved with the program. Jenkins exemplified this confidence as detailed in his thoughts on the season.

“Expect a lot of wins, and a lot of energy,” Jenkins said. “Regardless of what we go through in the season, we have to maintain our focus, keep our eyes on the prize: a championship is what we’re striving for.”

This theme of confidence goes beyond just one player and is prevalent throughout the team and in its leadership. Corbett continued the trend of confidence, stating his goals for the season.

“Last year was more of a rebuilding season,” Corbett said. “Now we’re all bigger, better, and stronger than we were at this time last year. We have much better chemistry after playing together for a year. And with the confidence Coach has given us, we can 100 percent win the championship.”

Head coach David First confirmed that this confidence goes beyond just the players, with his sights set on high school basketball’s highest achievement.

“Our goal for this season is to win a division three championship,” First said.

After a 5-5 start to the season, the Wildcats will play on the road at Cambridge Rindge and Latin on Tuesday, January 15.