Students express creativity in a cappella community

Team AC performs during an assembly on Friday, March 15.

Adi Saligrama

Adi Saligrama

Adi Saligrama

Eunho Lee, Staff Writer

Every year, the a cappella groups at WHS perform to display their talents in music. Performing without instrumental accompaniment, the Town Criers, Pralines, and Team AC meet weekly to practice and share their musical talents.

With three different groups, sophomore Maximilian Wohlfeld commented on the strong presence of a cappella at WHS.

“A cappella has a great community here in WHS and it’s incredible how many bonds I have made through it,” Wohlfeld said.

Freshman Joshua Lee commented the effect that a cappella can have on its audience.

“I think it’s important to give something that people can listen to and enjoy, and the fact that people enjoy it is enough to make it really important,” Lee said.

Within this a cappella community, there are three main groups available for student involvement. Town Criers and Pralines are male and female groups respectively, while Team AC is a co-ed group.

The three groups tend to perform similar genres of music, with their styles leaning towards pop and modern music. Even though they share similar tastes in the music they create, these a cappella groups have many distinct qualities that set them apart from the rest.

Sophomore Alex Vlasakov commented on the Town Criers’ energetic performances, which allows them to entertain their audience with each of their songs.

“We always try to have fun on stage and bring up the energy during our performances. It’s very rare to see us standing still,” Vlasakov said.

Meanwhile, Pralines are known for writing their own arrangements for their performances. Freshman Natalie Ladocsi commented on this aspect of Pralines.

“For many songs, the leaders will write the different parts which will be sung. This makes us unique because many other groups will sing songs with parts already created,” Ladocsi said.

For Team AC, senior Ben Sher highlighted the special friendships he has with his fellow musicians.

“My favorite part of being in the group is being able to interact with really cool people and friends and do something we all love to do,” Sher said.

Town Criers, Pralines and Team AC will be continuing to rehearse and share their love of music with each other. All a cappella groups perform at school assemblies and various events outside of school. Lee highlighted what Town Criers and a cappella in general is looking forward to in the future.

“I see a bright future for Town Criers, and a cappella in Weston High School, especially if we see a rise in attendance. But as far as I can see, a cappella will forever be a Weston tradition,” Lee said.