Math team captures two titles to end season

Members of the math team pose with their title and medals at the New England Math Championship.

Mary Fierabend

Mary Fierabend

Mary Fierabend

Sanghoo Lee, Staff Writer

The WHS math team concluded their 2018-2019 season with a first place finish at the New England Math Championship on April 26. On top of a perfect team round, the team’s performance was spearheaded by strong performances from senior Jeff Liu and junior Andrew Yao.

The team’s New England title came about as the result of months of hard work and preparation during the regular season. At the New England meet, the team was faced with strong competition from multiple schools in its division. Math teacher and coach Mary Fierabend elaborated on what happened at the event.

“We were ahead by one point over Avon High School going into the team round, so we knew a lot depended on that round for us to get the title,” Fierabend said. “Afterwards, when we realized that Avon had posted a high score but were ranked at second place, we knew that we had won because we were ahead beforehand. Weston ended up posting a perfect score of 18, which just added to our excitement.”

Similarly, sophomore Ben Chen commented on the atmosphere as the team competed.

“There was a fair bit of pressure as everyone knew what was at stake,” Chen said. “However, we were able to work together really well and our combined efforts resulted in a perfect score and led us to the championship.”

Capturing the title was a high point for all at the competition. Liu expressed his thoughts on Weston’s performance at the New England meet.

“It’s definitely very exciting, and I think I’m even more thrilled than others because this is actually the second year we’ve won both the state championship and the New England championship,” Liu said. “It would be really nice if we can continue this trend.”

In addition to winning the New England championship, the math team was able to capture the Division 6 state title at the Massachusetts Mathematics League (MAML) State Championship on April 1. The team’s effort was led by perfect individual scores from freshman William Houston and senior Sasha Shashkov. Junior Ezra Gordon spoke about what happened at the state meet.

“We started out with a significant lead, but some of our members started making mistakes later on,” Gordon said. “This meant that Canton was able to close the gap between us, but they fell just short and we won the meet by three points.”

Coach and math teacher Alison Langsdorf elaborated on how it felt to win the state meet.

“It felt great to place first at states, especially after the highly competitive nature of the meet. We also placed first at states last year, but then our margin was a single point,” Langsdorf said. “I think that the larger margin [of victory] shows how we’ve been able to build on last year’s achievements.”

With the team’s success this year, expectations will undoubtedly be high for next season. Langsdorf commented on what the team was able to accomplish this year.

“I am so proud of this year’s group,” Langsdorf said. “They have become such skilled problem solvers through their hard work. We are graduating only a few members this year, so we are hopeful that this success will continue in the coming years.”

Similarly, Fierabend expressed what her hopes were for the future.

“While I’m definitely sad to see our seniors leave, I am excited to start a new year and see the new co-captains and the ideas they have for the team,” Fierabend said. “I’m also excited to see the growth in all of the current members as they move up a year, welcome a new class of students, and see all of the contributions they can make.”