Weston varsity lacrosse defeats Cambridge Rindge and Latin

Hayden+Zeller+controls+ball+in+win+verse+Cambridge++Ridge+and+Latin+

Hayden Zeller controls ball in win verse Cambridge  Ridge and Latin

Hayden Zeller controls ball in win verse Cambridge Ridge and Latin

Karen McGuire

Karen McGuire

Karen McGuire

John Gigian, Staff Writer

The Weston boys varsity lacrosse team defeated Cambridge Rindge and Latin on May 9 by a final score of 15-5 on their home field in Weston. The Wildcats currently sit at 12-3 as they prepare to host Dedham on May 29.

Sophomore forward Ian Curley described the team’s win.

“The team did well. We were an overall better team than Cambridge, so we needed to defeat them which is what we did,” Curley explained.

Sophomore goalie Ian Carter limited Cambridge Rindge and Latin to five goals. He described his performance and what he needs to do in future games.

“I felt pretty good about how I played today. I let in only five goals and made key saves,” Carter stated. “I just have to continue to do this over the remainder of the season to give us a chance to win.”

Alongside the solid performance from Carter, 15 goals were scored to help the Wildcats take control of the game. Sophomore forward Colin Delduchetto conveyed how the offense was produced for Weston.

“I think that the contribution between every single player helped,” Delduchetto explained. “We shared the ball well with seven different guys scoring.”

In addition to their teamwork, Curley illustrated how his team generated more scoring opportunities than Cambridge Rindge and Latin.

“We possessed the ball longer than they did, and by controlling time of position, we had more scoring opportunities than they did which helped us capitalize on nearly every position,” Curley said.

Despite the victory, the team made a point of how they need to turn this victory into sustained success.

“We have to feed the fire and keep the momentum going,” Delduchetto explained. “We have to continue to play with confidence as we know how to win, so we just need to execute our gameplan.”

A week after defeating Cambridge Rindge and Latin, the Wildcats used the momentum they had gained to clinch the DCL championship with a victory at Newton South.

“Only 2 years ago, the Weston Lacrosse program ended the season with 4 wins, and that was my freshman year. I can tell you that was not a fun year, we rarely won, and when we did it was against weak teams,” junior captain Hayden Zeller  stated. “We won the DCL, all within the span of 2 years. [This is] a pretty impressive turnaround if you ask me.”

As the playoffs approach, Zeller explained how the entire roster has managed to stay focused on the later stages of the regular season.

“We can only focus on the next game because that is all we can control, later games are not in the picture for us as of right now,” Zeller explained. “We have the talent, and the next step for us is to just come together as a team, and make a serious run this year.”