Students+line+up+in+front+of+WHS+in+their+college+merchandise.+

Looking back: graduating students reflect on high school career

Students line up in front of WHS in their college merchandise.

Nellie Wisnia

Nellie Wisnia

Nellie Wisnia

June 7, 2019

Len Brown
Seniors Adele Mah, Gillian Reeder, Sabine Basu, and Hannah Brown at the 2019 prom.

Olivia Lathrop
Senior girls in the WHS parking lot.

Senior year is known for many things; it is the year of college decisions, new growth, and the transition from high school to college and beyond. For the class of 2019, the prospect of a new college career leads to excitement, anxiety, and more as they reflect on their time at WHS.

“It’s going to be a bittersweet ending,” senior Adele Mah said. “Even though I’m not close to every single person in our grade, it’s sad because I might not see them again for a long time.”

Senior Olivia Lathrop reflected her past four years at WHS.  

“My high school experience started out with working on creating new friendships with the people in my grade, as I was a new freshman and knew only a few people,” Lathrop said. “Over the past four years, I have forged new friendships that I cherish.”

As she moves toward the next phase of her life, Lathrop expressed excitement for what is to come.

“My time at the high school has been great, but I am ready to head outside of Weston,” Lathrop said. “I am slightly nervous to be thrown into a completely new environment, but it also makes me happy to know that I will still be able to come home to my family and friends.”

For many WHS students, leaving for college or other post-graduate plans means they will leave a community they have known for several years. Even in the midst of this excitement, the college transition can pose anxiety for students.  

“No matter how confident you are, when you go to college, you’re new,” English teacher Alicia Collins said. “You’re learning a new campus, a new way around, new professors. It’s going to be a bit overwhelming and scary for everyone. The good thing is [everyone is] all in it together.”

The anxiety of leaving a familiar place behind is not a new feeling for senior Jeff Liu, who moved to Weston in his freshman year.  

“The most important thing [for me] [was] finding people with similar learning habits or work ethics,” he explained. “Finding my kind of people motivated me, and inspired me to work harder and pushed me to my limits.”

Based on these personal experiences, WHS seniors have advice for those who will follow.

“It’s cliche, but time is so precious, and don’t take it for granted. The friends you have, it’s so special because we’ve had each other for so long, so you should really cherish them,” Mah said.

After four years at the high school, the class’ presence will be missed by the faculty and students.

“Socially, I saw this class grow a lot from the time there were freshmen to the time they were seniors,” librarian Alida Hanson remarked. “They were awesome in the library, and really great to have around. The school feels oddly silent without this class here everyday.”

As the class of 2019 move on from the halls of WHS, Collins hopes that her students will embrace all future opportunities to learn.

“I hope they really soak up everything the university has to offer,” she said. “I would love kids to go off to school and take all these interesting classes that they don’t offer in high school. I want them to be really excited to explore new disciplines.”