Upcoming Pumpkin Fest event to tie together Weston community

Wildcat Tracks Editorial Staff

The fall-themed charity event Pumpkin Fest will take place on the Town Green on Saturday, October 12 from noon to 4:00 P.M. Open to the Weston community, all proceeds from the event will go to Camp Sunshine, a summer program for children battling life-threatening illnesses. 

From cookie decorating to a silent auction table, Pumpkin Fest will offer a variety of activities for all Weston families who attend. 

“People stop by to play games, eat good food, and maybe take a peek at our silent auction. All in all, it’s a very unifying and fun event that simultaneously raises money for a good cause,” senior and Pumpkin Fest committee member Anissa Zhang said. 

Each year, Pumpkin Fest has a variety of sponsors that donate goods and help raise money for Camp Sunshine. Sophomore and Tally Zeller has been involved in preparing for the event. 

“There are lots of companies that have agreed to help Pumpkin Fest through donations for things ranging from pumpkin carvings to the silent auction,” Zeller said. “Some of the most generous donors included the Red Sox, Bella Santé, SoulCycle, and Trove. We have collected donations from over 40 businesses for the silent auction alone!”

As event chairs, seniors Luca Leschly, Lila Kosowsky, and Jack Noonan will direct the operations of the event. 

“We have expanded a lot of our kid’s activities [this year] because we have done the same activities for a long time and we want to switch it up,” Kosowsky said. “We have a [new] station where kids can come and write letters to kids at Camp Sunshine, making it more personal.”

As well as the letter writing, new activities such as train rides around the Town Green and cookie decoration have been added to the activities list. According to Leschly, the wide variety of committees including a food committee, an activity committee, and an auction committee have been responsible for the event’s operation.

“All of our committees together started in June and planned out their jobs over the summer. We’ve now come back and have been meeting pretty regularly and have been doing the various jobs that are needed,” Leschly said.

Along with committee leaders who have organized different aspects of the event, a total of 23 WHS student volunteers will be helping out at individual stations. One such volunteer is senior Eleni Polymeros, who will be spending her time at the welcome table. 

“I decided to volunteer for Pumpkin Fest because all the money raised goes to Camp Sunshine, which is a retreat that helps children with life threatening illnesses,” Polymeros said. “Even though the event is put on by high school students, the whole community comes together to support this great cause.”

In the chance of rain, the date will be moved to Sunday, October 13 from noon to 4:00 P.M.