Winter Festival to bring festivities to Weston community

Heather Lee and Casey Friedman, Co-editor in chief and Feature Editor

The Winter Festival, sponsored by the Women’s Community League of Weston, or the WCL, will host a variety of activities on the Town Green on December 8. From 2:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., the whole town will be invited to participate in an afternoon of winter festivities to celebrate the WCL’s Centennial.

This year, the festival will host various entertainment groups from the Weston Public Schools and the community. Having run a booth at the Winter Festival last year, senior Aidan Chen explained what can be expected at the festival.

“It’s different than things like Spring Fling a

nd Pumpkin Festival because it is a bit colder, but there’s definitely a variety of activities to be had,” he said. “Last year, there were activities for people of every age, like music performances in the Town Hall and snack booths.”

Planning for WCL’s Centennial event began last year when the first Winter Festival was organized and held on the Town Green. WCL president Regina Hajjar spoke about the various events planned for the community to enjoy at this year’s festival. 

“We’re going to have the Polar Express Train, balloon animals, face paintings, and cookie decorating stations. We’re also going to have more games and activities for older kids, such as bean toss and a skating rink,” Hajjar said. “And we’re trying to add more firepits, which are fun for any age.”  

In Weston’s history, the WCL has fostered social, educational and philanthropic opportunities for the entire community.  The Winter Festival is one of their most recent ideas. 

“We wanted to do a community-building event, and we came up with the Winter Festival,” Hajjar said. “We didn’t know how it was going to go last year because it was the first time we partnered with the Boy and Girl Scouts, the Rotary Club, Land’s Sake, the Art & Innovation Center, Weston Dads, Weston Child Community Association and other various groups.” 

Last year’s Winter Festival had a total turnout of almost 2000 guests, and Hajjar spoke on what she hopes the event will achieve this year.

“We’re really trying to create a venue where organizations and the community can come together and celebrate,” she said. “Even though the Women’s Community League is sponsoring the event, this is really an event where many organizations can come together for the community. All of these events are open to the whole community free of charge.”

WHS students will also be participating by running booths or performing in the Town Hall. 

“I will be performing with the [WHS] chorus and with my acapella group, Team AC,” senior Helen Townshend said. “We have been working really hard, and we have a self-arranged Christmas medley for the festival.”

WHS student volunteers are invited to sign up for the event on the WCL website wclweston.clubexpress.com under the volunteer tab. For more questions, email Regina Hajjar at president@WCLweston.org.