WHS Students look for success at the 61 annual DECA Regional Conference

Michael Curley, News Editor

Every year for the past 8 years, WHS students have competed in the Regional Conference for Distributive Education Clubs of America, or DECA, in hopes of reaching the States and then the International Conference.

This year, Corey Guerra, the head of DECA at WHS, is taking advantage of a new method to try and help the DECA team.

“There’s a company called Competition University that we are starting with for the first time and I think it’s going to do very well. It’s a lot more structured, in terms of practice role plays and practice exams,” Guerra said. “I think this Competition University will be able to streamline things a little bit easier for students, and they can also go at their own pace.”

Students don’t only participate in role plays, but also participate in different types of business presentations, like seniors and executive board members Nikki Liu, Daniel Lydon, and Joseph Lydon.

“Basically, you talk about a business plan that you have,” Liu said. “[My partners and I] are thinking of using drones as a transportation for undeveloped countries to transport medication and blood to them. We can apply it to the U.S. when we have natural disasters, like what happened in New Orleans. We make a presentation for it, whether it’s in a powerpoint or on a board.”

Other events that WHS students are competing in are ones that raise awareness for issues that they care about.

“I am competing in the Community Awareness Project, where my partner and I will raise awareness for an issue that we feel strongly about: animal abuse,” senior and executive board member Preston Wong said. “As of right now, we are planning to run many different events to promote awareness, and we are beginning to contact different organizations for help.”

Some students join DECA because they want to challenge themselves outside of the classroom, like sophomore Gregoire Marsot.

“I wanted to challenge myself in a way that school doesn’t offer. Although business courses are offered at WHS, they do not tend to have you apply the much needed skills of the business world,” Marsot said. “I find the research and the physical project to be quite difficult. DECA is not easy, you have to push through the work. Not everyone can do that.”

Like previous years, Guerra feels confident in the team’s ability to make it far.

“I think that we have a good strong team. We have a lot of returning people, we do have a lot of new people. It’s hard to gauge as early as we are, but I feel confident in the new students that are coming in,” Guerra said. “I have a really strong executive board, so I think that they have taken on a really good, strong leadership role.”