WHS students adapt to school from home

Grace Kirk, Staff Writer

On March 11, students at WHS went home from school unaware that this would be their last time stepping in the building this year. In Massachusetts, schools are closed for the remainder of the year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Students have been adapting their schedules to work with this new form of learning.

“I like how the school was able to come up with an efficient and effective program so quickly. I know that a lot of other schools took much longer to come up with at-home learning plans,” junior Abby Cobb said. “I also have liked how we are able to have daily office hours with our teachers if we need extra help. I think the school is doing a really good job of providing us with resources overall.” 

Students have numerous ways that they can connect with their teachers and peers while learning in School From Home. The regular school day consists of assignments posted on Google Classroom, Zoom calls, and office hours with teachers. 

“I like doing Zooms each day more because I like learning interactively with my teachers and classmates more than individual work. I think it will feel more normal and I think it’s more fun than sitting at my computer alone without the help of my teachers or classmates,” freshman Haven Trodden stated.

Due to having to do school online, teachers have had to adapt the ways they teach. Although teachers try to keep things as normal as possible, digital school is still a very big change for teachers.

“Navigating seems like the right word to describe how we are trying to handle the current situation because we are all trying to adjust toward the right route in making School From Home work,” English teacher Elizabeth Riemer said.

In addition to adapting to School From Home, students are also digitally engaging with their spring sports teams at home. Most students have found being outside, baking, and watching TV are helping with the current situation. 

“I play lacrosse and we’ve been doing team Zooms and fun activities like pass around the week [where we pass the ball connectively through a video] and we got assigned partners to workout with,” Trodden said.

Although COVID-19 stopped the spring sports season from happening, teams are still managing to keep in touch virtually. 

“Our team has been doing weekly Zooms on Wednesday to stay in touch because we can’t practice together. We’re all really upset about the season being canceled, but it has been really helpful for everyone to stay in touch virtually and talk about what we’ve been up to,” senior Blaise Trodden said on the baseball team’s effort to stay connected. “It also has shown us what keeping in touch with our friends may be like next year when we’re at college in the fall.”