COVID-19 and its effects on the Theater Company

Thomas Piccione

The Weston Theater Company in action.

Ava Dreyer and Julia Lawlor, Staff Writer and Opinion Editor

The closure of WHS and all schools in Massachusetts this year has had dramatic effects on school sports and extracurriculars for the remainder of the school year. One of which is the spring musical “Mamma Mia,” which was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I am super super sad about all of this. ‘Mamma Mia’ is one of my favorite musicals and I’m so sad I wasn’t able to perform with all of my friends one last time,” senior Helen Townsend said.

Drama department head Anne Slotnick explained her feelings about the cancelled production. 

“As the director, it’s been hard to let this show go and accept that it won’t be produced, but at the same time, all of my decisions are made with the students’ best interests at heart,” Slotnick stated. 

Even though the show will not be happening this year, students still have amazing memories from the Theater Company. 

“I wouldn’t really trade [it] for anything else. We’re an incredibly tight knit group and being an officer is an amazing way to make sure that a sense of community continues through your four years at the school,” senior Eric Sakkas added.

Regardless of the current circumstances related to COVID-19,  T. Co still has exciting plans for future shows.

“I do not have any specific titles solidified yet,” Slotnick stated. “…but I do know that we’ll plan to stick to our current schedule of a full length fall straight play (non-musical) in November, a winter one-act play in March, and a spring musical in May. My goal is to announce the fall play by the end of this school year.”

Even though the musical wasn’t able to happen, students are still hopeful that they will be able to take part in some of their other traditions.

“The last musical is a huge time for closure for seniors to make their final memories in T. Co, [however] we have a whole bunch of end-of-the-year traditions that are super important that we think will still be able to happen in the fall,” Townsend said. 

Additionally, Slotnick explained her enthusiasm for next year.

“I am most looking forward to the energy of a building filled with my students and colleagues. What I have missed most are the informal interactions – saying ‘hello’ in the hallways, talking to students at lunch, chatting with my colleagues in the English/History office,” Slotnick mentioned. “I can’t wait to hear about everyone’s summers and have actual face to face interactions.”

Finally, sophomore Elizabeth Crawford shared her excitement for T. Co in the next school year.

“I am most excited for the musical because no matter what the show is, it is always so fun when everyone comes together to try and build this huge show with choreography, staging, and music in such a short amount of time,” Crawford said.