Madness begins

By Holly Hardiman 

Kentucky and Wisconsin battle it out for a win in the NCAA Final Four game of 2015’s March Madness. PHOTO/Chris Steppig

With Selection Sunday this past Sunday, people are starting to get excited about filling in brackets and gearing up to root for their favorite team. Sunday was not a good day for Kentucky and Monmouth. Kentucky earned a lower seed than expected (4) and Monmouth will have to play in the NIT Tournament. Syracuse got lucky and got a tenth seed, when many analysts predicted that they might not even get in. Oregon also got the prized Number 1 seed in the West.

The Division I Men’s Basketball Committee members evaluated various information during the selection process. Their opinions, which they base off of observations, meetings with coaches, and comparisons of scores and ratings, helped to determine the selection of teams and their seedings.

According to sophomore Tom Cochran, part of the excitement is just watching all of the best teams compete.

“I like watching teams go head to head, especially kids that aren’t quite good enough to go pro” said Cochran.

The 36 best at-large schools were put into the tournament and then a field of 68 teams was seeded. The teams this year have all played well and the top 25 teams are all very close skillwise.

“I think the top 25 are strong but there isn’t a clear number 1, so it will be fun to see who wins this year” said senior Nick Miller.

Making brackets are a big part of the March Madness fun. They are another way to pit teams against each other and gives people more to root for. With single elimination games, every player is working their hardest, and it makes games that much more intense and fun to watch.

Games will be held all throughout March, leading to the championship game. The First Four games, held on March 15 and 16, are followed by the First-Second Rounds on March 17th through 20th. The Sweet 16 games will be on the 24st and 25th of March. Elite 8 games will take place on March 26th and 27th. The Final Four games will be on April 2nd and the championship game will be on April 4th.