Working recap

ophomore Georgia Harper plays the role of Rose Hoffman, a teacher, in Working. COURTESY PHOTO /Len Brown

Sophomore Georgia Harper plays the role of Rose Hoffman, a teacher, in Working.                COURTESY PHOTO /Len Brown

By Grace Wang

WHS delivered three performances of Working to members of the Weston community. A true ensemble piece, Working tells the story of many people, from socialites to a millworkers, based on interviews conducted by Studs Terkel.

Working, adapted by Stephen Schwartz and Nina Faso and music by a handful of people including Hamilton’s Lin-Manuel Miranda, is unlike the typical production selected for high school casts, as Working does not have a typical plot. Comprised of powerful monologues and songs, Working allowed for a myriad of students to show their prowess on stage.

“It’s not your typical high school musical. Most people are usually used to seeing Grease or Mamma Mia, but with this show not only do you get to see multiple people’s stories, but you get to experience a show that is much more emotional and truthful,” sophomore Georgia Harper said.

Even though the cast originally struggled with the format of the show in rehearsal, according to hair and makeup artist Stacey Deodato, a senior, the actors eased into their role as the rising curtain awaited.

“At first, beginning the show was extremely difficult because there were so many different characters to worry about. Learning to unite while being independent in our characters was extremely challenging as we began rehearsing,” Harper said.

Unlike a typical musical,  all the characters in the show are based off real people, sophomore Robbie Gold said.

Sophomores Conor McCoy and Ariel Silverman said that playing in the orchestral pit was a unique experience.

According to McCoy, he enjoyed the music, which he described as funky.

The music allowed the actors to be fully immersed in their characters on stage.

This was Silverman’s fourth pit appearance, and since in this show there were only three members, every note was crucial.

“I love the pit experience,” Silverman said. “Out of all the musicals, my playing was most exposed during this one. I felt like I’m able to grow and be part of something bigger than myself.”

The musical was also different in that WHS METCO Liason LaToya Rivers played Marcy, one of the cleaning woman, in the show.

“It was really nice getting to meet more of the students and see them in a different environment,” Rivers said of her experience. “They were in their element and so excited!”

From the actors to their stories, Working took audience members by surprise with its humor and powerful character portrayals.

“The musical showed an informative yet entertaining insight into the lives of everyday people and their jobs,” audience member Ava Zahedi said. “You didn’t just see the jobs but you also saw all the workers’ personalities, such as the cool headed truck driver and the waitress who never delivered anyone’s orders.”