As you (will) like it

T. Co having fun at an outdoor rehearsal. PHOTO / Hannah LeBaron

By Lauren Moran

T.Co is kicking off another school year with one of Shakespeare’s romantic comedies.

“As You Like It is William Shakespeare’s uproarious comedy about love, mistaken identity and how far you have to go to make a relationship work,” Director John Minigan said.

Though the play was written nearly 400 years ago, the cast will engage the audience by putting a modern spin on the timeless themes of Shakespeare’s work.

“We are setting it in current times and connecting it to modern day issues,” said senior Tina Ziobro, who plays Senior Duchess.

According to junior Robbie Gold, plot is upstaged by the real intrigue of the play – the complex relationships between characters.

“The play has a minimal amount of plot involved. Most of the story revolves around the relationships that the characters form on stage,” Gold said. “It really is a great show that will keep the audience entertained.”

Gold plays Jaques, a character he describes as a “melancholy nobleman in the forest.”

Much of the play does take place in the forest, which provided a fitting backdrop for the cast to creatively engage with the script. According to Gold, the cast spent some of their rehearsal time in nature.

“Sometimes we all just need a break,” Gold said. “To help better understand this idea, some rehearsals involved going into the woods and just hanging out and exploring our work as a cast.”

The setting is established by the heroine Rosalind’s flight into nature.

“In the middle of a world with corrupt leaders and siblings fighting siblings for power, young Rosalind is forced to flee from the threats of her guardian into the Forest of Arden, ” Minigan said.

Due to the dangers of being a woman alone, Rosalind is left with no choice but to travel as a man.

“In the forest, she encounters Orlando, a young man she loves, who has been forced to flee his brother’s murderous rage. Orlando also loves her, but has always been too tongue-tied to speak with her,” Minigan said.

Ziobro and Gold praised the cast and crew, complementing their hard work and dedication.

“I’m excited for everyone to see the hard work that we’ve all put into making the show as best as it can be,” Gold said.

As You Like it will be onstage November 17, 18, and 19 at 7:30 in the WHS Auditorium. Tickets are on sale at the WHS box office outside the cafeteria during lunch the week of the show, at the door, and on www.westonschools.org. Tickets are $5 for students/seniors/military and $10 for adults. Opening night, November 17, is free for Weston students.