Annual Powderpuff game to provide valuable experiences for seniors

Alexandra Liang, Staff Writer

In anticipation for the Thanksgiving holiday, the WHS senior girls are energized to play in the annual Powderpuff game against the Wayland High School senior girls. With many of the senior girls on the team having grown up together throughout the years, fostering bonding between the girls is a major theme for Powderpuff this year.

Seniors Kayla Leschly, Jayme Leschly, Stella Alphas and Rachel Garofalo have all been selected to be be the captains for the team. Senior co-emcee Rachel Garofalo expressed her thoughts on the overall experience of Powderpuff.

“It’s so much fun and I love practicing and seeing all of these girls who I have grown up with and having a good time,” Rachel Garofalo said.

Being a student-run event, seniors enjoy the rivalry between the two schools, as well as the time spent at practice with teammates. Senior boys are selected to be coaches of the team. This year’s five coaches are seniors Robert Garofalo, Benjamin Agreste, Jake Corbett, Nick White, and Will Dubin.

As a coach, Agreste commented on the the specific details and goals of the event.

“I would say around 60 girls are signed up for this event and we get everyone involved in practice because this is supposed to fun for the girls,” Agreste explained.

According to Rachel Garofalo, the participation of students with varying athletic skill makes Powderpuff a valuable bonding experience for all.

“The ones who will be playing often are athletes, but it’s not always the case. There are a lot of girls there that don’t play varsity sports, they are just there to have a good time,” Rachel Garofalo said.

Agreste also described the importance of the event and what the girls have taken away from this experience.

“I think the girls take away some experience and knowledge of football that they might not have known about before Powderpuff,” Agreste said. “Everyone bonded, and as a coach, I really stressed communication. I took away a lot away from this experience and got to teach some of my great friends.”

This annual flag-football game will kick off at 1 p.m. on the Wayland turf field on Wednesday, November 21.