Fall play shines at Weston High School

Seniors+Eric+Sakkas+and+Thea+Kendall-Green+play+the+lead+roles+Duke+Orsino+and+Lady+Viola.+

Dan Wims

Seniors Eric Sakkas and Thea Kendall-Green play the lead roles Duke Orsino and Lady Viola.

Kaitlyn Ewald, Staff writer

Comedy and Shakespeare took over the Weston High School auditorium in the Theatre Company’s rendition of the classic Twelfth Night. Running from November 21-23, students took a different interpretation of this Shakespearian show.

“The cast did a really good job of making it funny and understandable to the audience, and it seemed like the actors all had a fun time doing it” senior Ezra Gordon said.  

The Theatre Company, otherwise known as T. Co, worked hard since the second week of school to put this play together. One of the biggest challenges with the production and performance of Twelfth Night was interpreting the Shakesphearian Language.

“Shakespearian lines are really just not English at all. I think everybody really struggled to have any idea what they were saying,” senior Eric Sakkas, who played the male lead Duke Orsino, said. 

Through many practices and hours spent in rehearsals, the cast was able to overcome a difficult script. 

“[When] it started, people came in twice or three times a week, and then for the past month and a half I’d say, people have been coming in basically every day,” senior Helen Townsend, who played the role of Maria, said. 

The stage crew worked hard designing and practicing moving the set in preparation for opening night. The setting and costumes also contributed to bringing the story to the stage.   

“I also like how they moved the setting of the play to the Prohibition Era during the 1920’s, so they could just put alcohol everywhere in the scene. As actor Helen Townsend explained, any and all the plot inconsistencies can be blamed on the characters being drunk,” senior Joanne Lee said. 

As well as changing the setting as the play to the prohibition era, Slotnick described how she made changes to the play to make it easier to digest. 

“I cut the piece down… to cut out some of the most obscure references… and also to make it a run-time that I think is more appropriate for a high school show,” Slotnick said.

The actors noted that repeating performances can be a challenging part of the fall play.

“Usually there’s a show that we have that doesn’t go well, but all three went pretty well,” Sakkas said. 

Throughout all the shows and practices, the actors improved in many different areas. 

“I was particularly pleased with how smoothly  the show ran — the scene changes were tight, the characterization was clear, and the actors relaxed into their performances from night to night,” Slotnick said. 

T. Co. is now looking forward to the Winter One Act Play, Radium Girls on February 27, 28, 29, and March 14.