Animal Care Club aims to benefit the community

Left+to+right%3A+Club+advisor+Elizabeth+Riemer+poses+next+to+vice+president+Alyssa+Azaam+and+president+Madeline+Tremblay.+

Alexandra Liang

Left to right: Club advisor Elizabeth Riemer poses next to vice president Alyssa Azaam and president Madeline Tremblay.

Alexandra Liang, Website editor

The aim and mission of Animal Care Club is to raise money to help animal support groups. To meet that end, members meet during activity block to discuss future projects, such as volunteer opportunities or guest speakers to invite, as well as setting up schedules for fundraising.

“Our main goal is to advance animal welfare and support local shelters. Furthermore, I want to connect with other people and build ideas and relationships off of fundraising,” junior and club president Madeline Tremblay said. 

Tremblay is not alone in her feelings of connectedness and support as a result of being part of the club. English teacher and club advisor Elizabeth Riemer commented on the leadership of Tremblay and junior and vice president Alyssa Azzam.

“I feel lucky to work with such caring and motivated students. Maddie and Alyssa have taken our fundraising efforts to the next level; they love animals and take action to help them,” Riemer said.

One of the Animal Care Club’s fundraising events is the annual bake sale where they sell baked goods in order to raise money for different animal organizations. This year, the club raised $500 for the New York Marine Rescue center.

“I really like this club because even our little bake sales can really help these smaller non profit organizations and those organizations also help so many people and animals, so all around it’s a great cause,” freshman club member Ariel Arbel said.

While it is true that the club raises money for organizations, they are also devoted to aiding in issues on a national level.

“I think it’s a really cool club in the way they raised money for causes like the California fires last year. Most people don’t think about the animals that are affected,” senior Kevin Ma said. 

Despite the success of the bake sale, the club has faced challenges in the lack of members in the club. 

“We are trying our best to fundraise, but since we do not have many members, it is becoming more and more difficult for us to beat our past records of money or supplies we fundraise for,” Tremblay said. 

Furthermore, there have been issues with volunteering at local shelters due to the requirement of volunteers having to be over the age of 16.

“Many of our members are freshmen or sophomores, and are below the age of 16. We are very excited to volunteer, however, many members cannot simply because of their age,” Azzam said. “In addition, shelters often have waitlists for volunteers. Once everyone in the club is 16, it might take a long time in order to get off of the waitlist.”

Regardless of the challenges, the club has new opportunities that they are looking forward to in 2020.

“We will be working with animal and equine therapy organizations later this winter, which will involve helping out and working with therapy animals in Weston,” Tremblay said. “I hope that more people can join the club so we can raise more money in the future and donate the funds to non-profit organizations across the globe.”