Annual winter art show displayed polished student artwork

Sarah Augustine, Photo/art editor

Glowing designs and patterns created through flashlight techniques are posted on a board for viewing at the art show.

Decorated CDs hang in the science wing.

Pottery sculptures displayed by the window at the art show.

Graphic designs were displayed at the art show.

Sketched skeletons and skulls are shown off at the art show.

On January 15, various WHS artists were able to showcase and present their work at the annual art show. Many families and friends attended to observe and enjoy the intricate pottery sculptures, colorful canvases, and high-quality photographs created by both experienced and novice artists. 

Junior Jackie Liu, who recently won a Scholastic Gold Key, Silver Key, and numerous honorable mentions for painting, believes the show cohesively came together.

“I think the art show ended up being really successful in the end, and I think that the effort of the students and the teachers really paid off,” Liu stated. 

Aside from enjoying the show, Liu loves both viewing and creating art due to its limitless possibilities for creativity. 

“You can see how much effort is put behind all of the pieces and the intention put behind it too. What I love about pieces of art is that there are backstories and messages behind it,” Liu said. “Or even if not, if it is just a really well-crafted composition that is for aesthetic purposes, I think you can still see the intention behind it.”

Junior Daniel Brown, who created a pastry box with a breakfast-themed pattern, explained the procedure he went through. 

The first thing I had to do was choose a good word to represent it, and then build ideas off of that. I had to find good images like a French press, muffin, and a scone,” Brown explained. “After that, I traced them, and I made a color palette that I thought was fitting for breakfast-like things, and colored them all in Illustrator.”

In contrast to Brown’s process, junior Emma Hsiao created a digital herpetofauna card deck project. However, Hsiao experienced some difficulties along the way. 

“There were minor complications in file transfers and conversions, as well as deciding on the colors for the deck as a whole. The deck features so many colors that it would be difficult to decide on a broad, overarching color scheme for the box,” Hsiao said. 

In order for students to go through the process of creation, art department head Christopher Fehl believes students must have the quality of determination. 

“Persevering through challenges, even enjoying the challenge that comes with making art, is vital,” Fehl said. 

While student artists like Hsiao and Brown struggled to find a topic and navigate digital art, many artists battle creative blocks. 

“Part of that is really using your creative intuition and moving forward. Finding positivity and having a good attitude in a negative situation is part of my philosophy,” Hom-Mandell expressed.

In general, Fehl believes that all are able to create unique pieces of art. 

“[It is important to] know how to be observant, how to connect with others, and how to realize that struggle and even failure are always part of any learning experience,” Fehl said. “Developing skills with your hands, or with technology, or both, are vitally important and beneficial for every person.”