Senior Cole Zetterquist reflects on college squash recruitment

Zetterquist+poses+in+a+Wesleyan+University+sweater+after+committing+to+play+squash+for+the+school.+

Eric Zetterquist

Zetterquist poses in a Wesleyan University sweater after committing to play squash for the school.

Casey Friedman, Co-Editor-In-Chief

As the school year ends and seniors prepare to head off to their various colleges and post-graduation plans, Cole Zetterquist will be preparing for his first season on the Wesleyan University squash team. Zetterquist has played squash throughout high school and recently completed his recruitment to play in college. 

“It was a really stressful process because I genuinely didn’t know how it was going to turn out, but it ended up working out thankfully,” Zetterquist explained.

Some of the difficulty in this process for Zetterquist came with prompting much of the communication himself.

“I didn’t realize how much was in my hands going into the recruitment process. Wesleyan didn’t email me first, actually, I had to email their coach in the second half of my junior year,” Zetterquist said.

Because squash is not a sport that is offered at WHS or most public high schools, college recruitment is also a bit different for the coaches as well.

“Coaches can’t just look up your highlights or go to a school or club game,” Zetterquist explained. “It’s important that you get some playing time in front of them.”

The hardest part of the recruitment process for Zetterquist was maintaining communication with the coaches after he reached out to them. 

“I constantly had to remind myself to send that email or make that call, which definitely built up over time and was difficult to manage,” Zetterquist said. “It’s really about staying in touch and not only demonstrating your interest but demonstrating your commitment to the process itself.” 

Fellow senior Hayden Zeller, who has occasionally played recreational squash with Zetterquist, commented on his commitment to the sport.

Most days after school he will play, whether by himself or in a clinic or even just with a friend such as myself,” Zeller said. “He started squash in middle school and has practiced non-stop since then.”

Zetterquist first discovered the sport while in sixth grade at the Fessenden School and has been playing ever since. Since WHS does not have a squash team, Zetterquist has competed individually at his gym, Cross Courts in Natick, and through clinics and coaching programs. This individualized nature of the sport has only further engaged Zetterquist as a player.

“I like it because there’s no point where you’re the best you can be. You always have a goal to work towards, and that’s what has kept me motivated and never bored,” Zetterquist said. “It’s also just really fun.”

Zeller also commented on Zetterquist’s attitude and mentality when it comes to playing the sport.

“I have not seen him stray away from anything with the fear of failing, and even if he does, he is the type of person to learn and be better because of it,” Zeller said.

Despite playing this sport on his own for the entirety of high school, Zetterquist is looking forward to being back on a team when he gets to Wesleyan.

“Being on a team for an individually-played sport is special because you have a group of people supporting you, even if you don’t do well,” Zetterquist said. “ I really do miss that team aspect of the sport.”

Despite new challenges that might be ahead playing on a college sports team, Zetterquist has high hopes for the future.

“I know that a team setting is the best place for me to grow as a player,” Zetterquist said. “I’m excited to see where it takes my game.”