Senior golf star to play collegiate golf at Georgetown

Jacob+Finard+with+his+his+family+as+he+signs+his+national+letter+of+intent+to+Georgetown+University.+

Michael McGrath

Jacob Finard with his his family as he signs his national letter of intent to Georgetown University.

John Gigian, Sports Editor

After four years of helping the Weston golf team compete for DCL titles and state championships, senior Jacob Finard will continue his career at the next level. Finard will be playing collegiate golf at Georgetown university starting in the fall of 2021. As Finard takes the next step, he expressed his excitement to become a division one athlete.

What excites me about playing college golf at Georgetown is the new competition I’ve never seen before,” Finard said. “I’ll get to play against some really talented golfers so it’ll be fun to see, especially right when I get there, how different competition is at the collegiate level than at the high school level tournaments I’ve been playing in.

Although Finard was recruited by several schools, he ultimately chose to attend Georgetown due to the opportunities it granted him. 

“It had a balance of everything I wanted. It’s in a city, has a good business school, and a good golf team. So I felt like the fit was right,” Finard said.

After committing to the Georgetown golf team with high expectations, Finard expressed the goals he hopes to accomplish in his four years there. 

“I hope to be able to balance golf, school and my social life. Additionally, I hope to be able to win the Big East conference championship, and compete for national championships.”

In order to get to this level of golf, Finard explained the work he needed to put in to get to where he is today. 

“There are times that I have had to miss hanging out with friends in order to get my work in to succeed,” Finard said. “I play or workout every day of the week. It’s something I’ve been doing since my freshman in order to get to the level I needed to build confidence and compete in big tournaments.”  

Since golf has been a central part of Finard’s life since he was four years old, he explained how he became interested in the sport and what made him want to succeed. 

“I’ve been surrounded by it my entire life, my entire family were all golfers,” Finard said. “I’ve always been surrounded by it, so I just grew to love it.”

Finard had several people help him throughout his journey, but he expressed particular gratitude for one coach in particular.

“My first coach Mark Nelson has been like a brother to me. He was my coach for my first ten years playing the game, so he facilitated my love for the sport,” Finard said. 

As Finard’s coach for nearly ten years, Nelson explained what made Finard great and who helped him in his journey. 

Jacob comes from a great athletic family background. His family’s support also played a huge role in his development,” Nelson said. “It’s not easy taking your kids across the state or country for that matter to compete at the highest level, his parents deserve a lot of credit. He’s dedicated himself to the gym which is so important for the mind and body in golf.” 

Through everything he’s accumulated, Finard has been able to take a leadership role with the underclassmen on the Weston golf team. Junior Connor Burke explained how Finard has helped him grow as an athlete and a leader. 

“He [Finard] is one of the best captains I’ve had in all of high school sports,” Burke said. “It’s not just because he’s the best on the course, it’s because he’s a leader. Over my years, Jacob has taught me many things about the game of golf. It’s going to be tough for myself and the team to lose him next year, [however] I know Jacob will light it up at Georgetown next year.”