Weston Dover-Sherborn hockey team looks to improve this season

Current senior George Herlihy skates up the ice in game last season.

Andrew Dummer

John Gigian, Sports Editor

After ending last season with a 6-13-1 record, the Weston-Dover Sherborn boys varsity hockey team hopes to improve this season. Despite the loss of nine seniors and the postseason being canceled due to COVID-19, the team still hopes to win as many games as possible and compete in the TVL small division. 

“We were disappointed with how we finished [the season], but we had a big win at the end of the year against Wayland, so we’re hoping to build off that this year,” senior captain George Herlihy said. 

After reflecting on last season, junior Connor Burke explained what the team has done to improve this year. 

“Although we have lost some key players, the team has still been getting better,” Burke said. “In the offseason, we have done several captains practices, and have done online Zoom workouts and team bonding to get better for next season.”

As the team prepares for this season, they have had to push forward despite the hindrance of COVID-19. 

“COVID has had a major impact on our season. We hadn’t gotten to meet as a team until November and even that was virtually,” head coach Alex Marlow said. “Since we have started, the players have been great at following protocols and everything has gone smoothly on the ice. It may have given us a slow start, but I think we are on the right track given the uphill battle to start.” 

Although the team has needed to make adjustments during these times, the team has maintained a positive outlook.

The team has surprisingly done very well with keeping our spirits high,” Burke said. “Everybody is just happy that we are allowed to have a season and play some hockey.”

Despite the impact of COVID-19, sophomore Thomas Sacco emphasized what the team is still eager to play for.

There are no playoffs this year. As a team, we hope to win all of our games because we will be competing for our division,” Sacco said. “Winning is what is most important but this year, alongside winning, we hope to give the seniors a good last year of hockey as they graduate. We hope to set our team up to win next year as well.”

As Herlihy’s high school hockey career comes to an end, he expressed his feelings towards playing his final season during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I obviously wish I was able to have my final season be a normal year and be able to compete for a playoff spot,” Herlihy said. “That being said, I’m glad that I’m still getting the opportunity to play this year. Hockey has been a huge part of my life since I was a kid, so it’s great that I get to play one more time.”