New Covid vaccine protocols are welcomed by freshmen at WHS

Student+gets+her+second+dose+of+the+Pfizer+vaccine.+

Siena Ferrucci

Student gets her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

Molly Ross, Staff Writer

The past year has been filled with surprises as new information about Covid-19 is constantly being released to the public. Recently, the CDC has allowed people as young as twelve years old to be eligible to receive the Pfizer vaccine while before it was only available to those sixteen and older. This change has become a big deal to freshman students at WHS.

As many students are getting prepared to get their first or even second shots, they are excited about how it will greatly change their lives for the better.

“I’m so grateful that it’s happening and that it’s happening so fast. It makes us feel like things are going to be normal again,” freshman Siena Ferrucci said. “More and more people will be protected, and the lifted mask mandate will help too.”

Other students recognize that this is an opportunity to help their community become a safer and healthier place for everyone. 

“I have gotten it because it’s a process to get the world back together, and I think everyone needs to do so in order to help to control and stop the spread,” freshman Emilio Tanzi said. 

Although some were slightly hesitant to get their shots, many students know it is the right thing to do in the long run. 

“I’m not scared to get it. Even though people have mentioned [negative] long term side effects,  I think that it’s still worth it,” freshman Caroline Betty said. 

Despite there being a few negative side effects, there are a lot of positive outcomes that make many people eager to do things that they haven’t been able to do.  

“I’ve already gotten it so I can be protected and I can do things I like and be safe at the same time,” Ferrucci said. “It’s also nice for lacrosse tournaments because I won’t get sick from all of the people there.” 

Students look forward to wrapping up the school year fully vaccinated and are ready to enjoy their summer vacations since they will be able to do so much more. 

“I haven’t gotten the vaccine yet but I’m planning on getting it soon,” Betty stated. “I know that if I do get it I’ll be able to have a normal summer and get to do things that I didn’t get to last year.”

Students will now be able to enjoy their summer more freely due to the many lifted mandates. 

“I was excited because I would not have to follow as many covid guidelines after lots of people have been vaccinated,” Tanzi said. “I need it for camp because then I won’t have to get constantly tested, or be at risk of getting sick.” 

Ultimately, the freshmen at WHS recognize the huge benefits and importance of the new Covid-19 vaccine protocols and are taking steps to help themselves and everyone around them. 

“I feel like it’s good that kids can get vaccinated now because it’s pretty much the last step to getting everything completely back to normal,” Betty said. “It’ll be nice to be able to live without constantly worrying about getting sick.”