WHS students participate in charity events

Julia Chow and Lucy Wang

Girl Up members selling baked goods for the bake sale.

Kaitlyn Ewald, Arts and Entertainment Editor

When Weston High School students heard there were people in need, they didn’t hesitate to jump into action by creating charity fundraisers. The Girl Up Halloween Bake Sale and the cross country team’s Pumping to the Future 5K are just a couple of examples of WHS students taking the initiative to benefit noble causes.

“These fundraisers are important to help give back to our community as a group,” junior and 5K organizer Olivia Jackson said.

Sponsored by Starbucks, the Pumping to the Future 5K was largely organized by Jackson and her family, and took place on October 23 at Buchard Park. At $30 an entry, all proceeds directly went to the Boston Children’s Heart Foundation. Each participant would either walked or ran along the designated course to raise money for the fund. Additionally, volunteers and participants also made cards for the kids at Boston Children’s Hospital.

“It was great to have all my [cross country] teammates and other friends participating in a charity event for such a great cause,” junior Analeise Schact said. 

Since the event took place around Halloween time, participants made the most of this opportunity to enjoy the Halloween spirit. 

“Everyone dressed up in costumes, and a lot of people participated in the run and helped to raise awareness of the event and awareness to donate,” Schact said. 

Girl Up is a WHS club that has also recently undertaken a fundraiser. Girl Up is an initiative created by the United Nations Foundation, and its fundraising supports initiatives overseen by the UN Foundation to help girls around the world. The club’s Halloween Bake Sale raised over $1,000, which went to supporting girls in developing countries, especially addressing their education, safety, and health. 

“Some of their initiatives include providing bicycles to girls in rural Guatemala and Malawi for traveling safely to and from school, constructing new schools and classrooms for refugee children in Uganda, and providing educational scholarships and solar lanterns for nighttime studying to girls in Ethiopia,” senior club president Lucy Wang said. 

In order to be most efficient in raising money, a lot of careful planning went into this fundraiser. Choosing what day and time to carry out this event was essential. 

“We decided to do it in the morning and after school, which is when we made the most money,” sophomore and Girl Up member Myrun Stephensen said.  

The club also decided to continue the event to bring in more proceeds. 

“We also made a last minute decision on doing it for an extra day since we still had so much food we could sell,” Stephensen said.  

The club members collaborated to plan the event. They created a spreadsheet where they were able to plan who would bake what and the prices of each baked good. The club members then opened a Google form where members of the Weston community pre-ordered their baked goods. Lastly, a signup sheet was created to organize who would be able to work during the bake sale hours.

“We ended up raising approximately $1,070 which was really good considering the circumstances,” Stephenson said. 

All the planning and organizing played into the ultimate goal of a successful fundraiser.  

“The goals of this fundraiser not only were to reach a specific money goal for donations, but also to introduce this club to more people and set the foundation for our future fundraisers, such as a b-spoke event and a larger bake sale for Valentine’s Day” Wang said.