WHS students recommend books for vacation reading

Farrah Zerola, Staff Writer

As April break approaches, so do long plane rides, snow storms, and plentiful free time. With this extra time to do the things that make students happy, many turn to reading.

Numerous students at Weston High School have a favorite book, and they were more than willing to recommend that book to others.  The books they each recommended tended to be ones that grabbed the reader’s attention from the start. Starting a new book can be difficult, and sometimes results in never finishing it. These recommendations are books that students couldn’t put down, whether they are someone who reads constantly or someone who rarely reads.

Many students are convinced that their peers should start reading again this break. Books are a form of entertainment, and therefore can easily replace some of the time more often spent on electronic devices.

“[Reading] brings you to a different world. It’s a nice way to relax and escape,” said freshman Shelby Crutchfield.

Another reason to begin reading again is the fact that books hold important lessons that are not possible to obtain through an internet search.

“People need to know these stories,” said freshman Gracyn Summersgill.

Consider which of the following books might enhance your February vacation, and stop by the WHS library before you leave school on Friday to pick one up. 

“Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn

Junior Max Coisman recommended this mystery book because, “…it is a good deconstruction of the way that our society treats women in some places.”  The book focuses on journalist Camille Preaker who, after a short stay at a psychiatric hospital, must return to her hometown to report on the

unsolved murder of one girl and the disappearence of another.  For those who enjoy a suspenseful story and strong character development, this could be the book to pass time on a snowy day.

“The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides

Sophomore Dimitra Papageorgiou recommended this psychological thriller because she is a fan of mysteries, “…and it had a great plot twist at the end.” The story centers on Alicia Berenson who murdered her husband six years ago. Theo Faber, the psychotherapist that hopes to treat her, also wants to uncover her motives, except that she hasn’t spoken a word since his death.  Another option for those who like an engaging mystery, this book’s emphasis on the psychological aspects of murder adds another layer to a fast-moving plot.

“Project Hail Mary” by Andy Weir

Junior Aydin Abramson recommended this science fiction book because “It is really interesting and a page turner. It is very suspenseful with memorable characters.” The story is set in the near future, and the novel focuses on middle-school-teacher-turned-astronaut Ryland Grace, the sole survivor of a space mission. When he wakes up from his coma he can’t remember anything except that he is nowhere near home.  If you saw the movie “The Martian,” which is based on another book by the same author, you should consider giving this one a try.

“Paper Hearts” by Meg Wiviott

Freshman Gracyn Summersgill recommended this non-fiction book because, “The writing was really good and the characters were real and developed.”  While it is a book based in fact, it is also written in verse, so “Paper Hearts” may appeal to those who enjoy poetry, too.  It is a true story based on two young women and their friendship that helped them survive their time at Auschwitz.

“Raybearer” by Jordan Ifueko

Senior Erin Aldrich recommended this fantasy book because, “It has really great and detailed world building, and the plot is very character-driven. Anyone who likes fantasy should definitely read it.”  The story centers on the main character, Tarisai, who has the power to see other people’s lives. She is bound by a magical wish to kill the Crown Prince, but when she is sent to the capital to compete to be part of his council, she finds something that she has always wanted.

“Gabi, A Girl in Pieces” by Isabel Quintero

Senior Kamea Johnson recommended this realistic fiction book because she “liked the message around body image and self-love.” The main character is a girl named Gabi, who keeps a diary during her senior year of high school. She writes about her college applications, her friends, her parents and everything going on in her life. She also writes about and the author includes Gabi’s own poetry that helps her along the way.  While some students may have read this during their freshman year in English class, for those who didn’t, this could offer a great distraction on a quiet vacation day.

For further information on these books or other recommendations, please visit GoodReads – www.goodreads.com and then go to the library to check out a book.